Experienced, Empathetic Family Law Support In Escondido

Child Custody In California: Frequently Asked Questions

At Dahann Bowers Law, I can help you understand California’s child custody laws. Here are some of the questions I get most frequently from clients on child custody.

Will I lose custody of my kids if I get a divorce?

Child custody arrangements are determined based on the best interests of the child, and both parents typically share custody rights.

What are the most common custody arrangements?

In California, the most common custody arrangements include joint physical and legal custody, which means parents share time with their children and legal authority over all important decisions. However, sole physical custody with visitation rights and sole legal custody are also possible.

What evidence is used in custody cases?

In California, child custody proceedings may consider the following evidence:

  • Testimony from parents and other relevant individuals
  • Child’s preference, depending on their age and maturity
  • Any history of domestic violence or substance abuse
  • Each parent’s ability to provide a stable environment
  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • Reports from child custody evaluators or mediators

An experienced California child custody lawyer like myself can guide you through the legal process, gather relevant evidence, prepare persuasive arguments and represent your interests effectively in court proceedings or negotiations to secure the most favorable outcome for you and your children.

Can I change my child custody arrangement?

Yes, it is possible to change your child custody arrangement in California, but you typically need to demonstrate a significant change in circumstances since the original custody order was issued. This change could include factors like:

  • A parent’s relocation.
  • Changes in the child’s needs or preferences.
  • Concerns about the child’s safety or well-being in their current living situation.

Modifying a custody arrangement usually involves filing a petition with the court and attending a hearing, where the judge will consider the evidence and make a decision based on the best interests of the child.

Reach Out Today To Learn More

Call me at 951-900-4647 today to schedule a consultation. I will help you protect your relationship with your children and your rights.